The Cyprus Shortsea Promotion Centre was established in May 2006 by the Cyprus Ports Authority together with the Cyprus Shipping Agents Association and the Association of Forwarders and Bonded Warehouses who have committed themselves in supporting and financing the Centre.
The Cyprus Ports Authority has taken the initiative for the establishment of the Centre, as it has to play a leading role in promoting Shortsea Shipping nationally. Some of the actions that Port Authorities could take within the framework of promoting Shortsea Shipping are:
- the simplification of administrative procedures;
- the improvement of port road and rail connections with the hinterland;
- the adaptation of port infrastructures to the needs of Shortsea Shipping;
- the provision of efficient, safe and secure port facilities with enough capacity for waiting trailers or containers and good transhipment facilities;
- the application of rebates in the port dues for Shortsea Shipping.
The Cyprus Shortsea Promotion Centre is a private non-profit organisation and its operation is based on two fundamental elements: cooperation and neutrality.