The overall objective of the Cyprus Shortsea Promotion Centre is to act as the focal point for promoting and improving short sea shipping links in Cyprus in order to enhance the maritime sector contribution to the local economy and Cyprus’s cohesion with Europe and its neighbours.
In order to achieve this objective the Cyprus Shortsea Promotion Centre is expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Collection and dissemination of information, knowledge and education relevant to short sea shipping;
- Formulation and participation in EU funded projects and the creation of awareness of EU policies, programmes and legislation that can assist private business in the expansion of short sea transportation activity;
- Promotion of Shortsea Shipping policies in Cyprus;
- To create awareness among all stakeholders – including government agencies, the business community, suppliers, logistic companies, shipping agents and the general public – on the potential, importance and relevance of short sea transportation to satisfy business, customer and national needs;
- To establish the necessary mechanisms – organisation of fora, study groups and research – to identify barriers and make recommendations on how they can be diminished or removed in order to ensure the further development of short sea activity;
- To create awareness of EU policies, programmes and legislation that can assist private business in the expansion of short sea transportation activities.